ZENON GREEK KINDER & PLAYGROUP
Greek Language Pre-School Program
Zenon! A Greek Pre-School Program for the new generations!
- Monday – 5.00-7.30 pm (Wesley College, Gladstone Pd, Elsternwick)
- Tuesday- 4.00-6.30 pm (Wesley College, 620 High Str, Glen Waverley)
- Friday – 5.00-7.30 pm (Abbotsford Ave, E. Malvern/Chadstone, Malvern Valley Primary)
- Saturday – 9.30-12.15 (Abbotsford Ave, E. Malvern/Chadstone, Malvern Valley Primary)
Please download, fill-it in and mail it to Zenon Cultural Centre, P.O. Box 2343, Caulfield Junction, Vic 3161
AIM: Our aim is to develop a Greek identity within children of Greek background
and help them gain confidence in using the Greek language in their family
Our objectives are:
- to develop skills that will enhance second-language learning
- to enable children gain consciousness about their Greek identity
- to gain knowledge in areas related to Greek language and culture in a bilingual environment.
We believe that children benefit the most if they are immersed in the Greek language and culture. Therefore, we speak to them mainly in Greek, using simple language to ensure that the children feel comfortable and that they understand instructions (especially at the early stage). We provide a fun-filled bilingual learning environment where children become involved in a range learning experiences.
The Greek language is introduced gradually and children are encouraged to use Greek words and phrases in their speaking. The progress depends on the individual children but we believe that the more Greek children listen to, the easier it is for them to learn the language.
- Listening to stories in Greek and participating in discussions using question and answer
- Learning about the Greek alphabet, letters, sounds, phonics
- Singing Greek songs
- Role-plays (children recite lines in Greek and then act them out)
- Tracing/writing letters and words
- Matching letters/words with pictures
- Exploring themes and topics related to the children’s world (Eg. Myself and my family, My grandparents, My friends, Greetings, Numbers, Colours, Days of the week, Birthdays, Name days, Special Celebrations, Food, Pets/Animals, My house etc)
- Playing Greek educational games
- Colouring in appropriate pictures and letters
- Cutting and pasting letters, words and pictures
- Watching puppet shows
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Contact Andrea (Mob: 0401 208 013 -Email: zenon.education @ gmail.com)